Monday, September 27, 2010

Moving for More than the Sake of Motion

I hate change, but I hate getting caught up in the same-ol'-same-ol' routine even more. It's a pretty vicious cycle. Since the beginning of this year I have slowly stopped doing things that are out of the ordinary when it comes to my daily life. That's just lame.

I get up in the morning, go to work, come home, cook dinner, relax for a few hours, sleep, start over, 5 days a week. Then to end the weekend, I go to Church, hang out with a few friends, clean the apartment, then back to work. This is my comfort zone. This is what I love. I like coming home to the same nice clean house, hanging out and laughing with the same friends, remembering the times we had together doing the same thing years before, etc. Too bad that's not what I really like. Confusing huh?

I love adventure. I love getting my feet off the ground and doing things that most people would be absolutely terrified to do. I love the feeling of accomplishment. I love leaping with faith and trusting that my Father is going to catch me. I love meeting and growing closer to new people and finding out that God has more for me than this little picture I like to call my life.

It's not a fear of dying that keeps me tied to the ground when it comes to facing things that are risky, because I know if I die on earth I will live on with my Savior in Heaven. I'm afraid of losing time. Time in heaven is meaningless. Time on earth is everything. We only have so much time here. It could be till tomorrow, it could be till I'm 80 and have no teeth left. Only God knows.

The big question is, what am I going to DO with the time I have here? I'm pretty sure God didn't want me to be okay with sitting around my whole life.

My earthly body just wants to live in peace without any risk of being uncomfortable, but God asks me to live and to make myself uncomfortable for the sake of Him. Now for some people it's hard to see how climbing a mountain, or riding a roller coaster brings me closer to Him, but it does. I learn to Trust.

If I can trust God to keep me safe when I'm scared to risk my life doing something, I can trust Him to stand by me when I am scared to share my faith with people who may persecute me.


I don't like being comfortable here on earth. This is not my home. I don't want to be okay with hiding away and living for the sake of living, doing the same thing every day, because if there ever comes a time when God says "I want you to trust me on this one." I want to be able to jump in with both feet without a second thought as to whether or not it's going to hurt.

At any moment my time here could be cut short, and my job here on earth could be finished, but we don't really think about that when we're at the grocery store, or talking with friends, or sitting at the coffee house reading our favorite book, cause, what could happen? It's the things that are out of the ordinary and uncomfortable that remind me very well that my life is in God's hands, not mine.

So if something tragic happens, I can trust that it is fully in God's plan. If I find myself alone, I'll immediately realize that I'm not. If someone I dearly love, who loves Him is called home, I know I can keep moving forward because, hey, when I get to heaven, I want to have more stories to tell them right? If I become overwhelmed with anxiety I can trust that God has whatever is stressing me out totally under control.

It's nice to know that I can live, with faith like a child, relying on my Father to take me wherever He knows is best. Why should I ever have to worry?

God is in Control.

No comments:

Post a Comment