Friday, September 23, 2011

Just Pick Up Where You Left Off

New books, new paints, new yarn, new pencils, new sketch pads, new clothes, new shoes, new tattoos, new jewelry, new hair color, new jeans, new jackets, new canvases, new movies, new cereal, new pens, new fabric, new nail polish, new conditioner, new sheets, new laundry detergent, new lotion, new crayons and coloring books... It's the little things in life that make me super excited. I love little new things. Like, the things that normally don't cost too much or can be found at a great value. I also love buying things on sale with coupons and getting an awesome deal. Or the things that make your hair softer or clothes smell new and fresher or just make your house feel warm and cozy. That's super exciting to me.
I love new little things. And I love starting new things. Like paintings and projects. Hence why I get excited about paints and yarn and canvases and pencils... It's just fun to start something new. The thing that I don't like so much, is finishing them. Expecially the big projects. I'm a big instant gratification crafter. If I know I can sit down and make something within a few hours and see the end result, It'll be a great day. If I know it is something that will take days, weeks, months or even years to finish, I get a little bit discouraged and disinterested. It's a fault that Michelangelo and Botticelli would no doubt scold me about. The art masters who sit and stare at marble for months to decide what to do with it, and then spend years carving it into a masterpiece. Man, if only I had that kind of patience. Or the builders who spent their lifetime only to lay the foundation for beautiful cathedrals knowing that they would never see the finished product. Maybe I should take on sculpting, that'll teach me patience with the arts....... Uhhh maybe later.
I have so many awesome projects around my house that I so badly want to see finished, but the getting there is so... time consuming. Like my gynormous magnum opus painting of Lake Tahoe, or my sweater, or my painting of a maple leaf, or practicing my guitar or piano, or finishing the books I have started reading, or my sketches, or my apron that I need to sew together. All of these things would just be super awesome to finish, but golly gee, I need some motivation. Maybe, If I hide them, and then find them later, they will seem new again. Probably a bad idea. Oh dear. I think the reality is I just need to start, and get in the zone, and before I know it, it will be complete. I wish I could be as excited about it as I sounded right then. Lame that I'm not. Haha. Oh well. These are my thoughts for today.
I love new little things. The feel of the new fabric, the smell of a new books pages, the look of a new nail polish, the curve hugging feel of new jeans, the crispness of new sheets, the bounciness new conditioner gives to hair, the smoothness of writing with a new pen, the first bowl of cocoa pops from the box, the smell of a new perfume....

No comments:

Post a Comment